Tuesday, October 13, 2009

An unwelcome cold snap

It first hit me Sunday morning driving to the Dover-Foxcroft Fire Station. Temperatures dropped that morning to the point my Sport Trac was a little frosty. With the windshield defroster turned on, I began to think about the possibility of having to unearth my winter coat.
I didn’t want to do it. Heck, fall just started, didn’t it? I mean, the summer didn’t officially begin until mid-August or something like that and fall wasn’t supposed to be this short. I know I’ve had the heater on in the house a few times and installed a few heat-shrink plastic window kits in the house, but I just kept telling myself I was preparing for the that cold, post-fall season. It couldn’t be here already, could it?
When I went to grab the morning paper off the porch Monday morning and felt a cold chill rush down my spine, that’s when I knew it was inevitable. Fall seems to be coming to an end and the winter jacket was going to make it’s return.
Now I’m not the type of guy that will defy logic and wear shorts as long as I can like some people, or swear they will not wear a jacket to protest the cooling temperatures. I’ve seen people do that before, and it just seems to end them getting knocked out by a nasty cold. Nah, I’ll swallow my pride and reach for the Carhartts instead.
The weather forecast for the end of the week is calling for nighttime lows to drop below freezing and daytime highs edging close to 50 if not eclipsing it by a degree or two. Toss in those cold fall rains like we had on Tuesday and it’s that time of year where a good Saturday afternoon involves a seat on the couch, a blanket and a full day of college football or Season 4 of “How I Met Your Mother” (I’m hooked, what can I say?).
The thing is — and I hate to say this — but it could be worse. Family and friends back home in Wisconsin have reported traces of that dreaded white, fluffy stuff already. Nothing is sticking yet, I’m told, but that’s not that far away anymore either.
Oh wait, trees in Greenville have already been covered in snow and there were reports Tuesday of it falling with the rain in the Penquis region.
I guess the winter jacket is here to stay. Now, what did I do with my gloves?

No comments: